Ingredients for Classic Hummus:
-Chickpeas: canned or dry (canned is cheaper, but dry is more nutritious with less preservatives)
-Lemon or Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
-Salt and Pepper
1. Open one can of chickpeas, drain fluid, rinse beans with purified water, add to bowl or blender.
2. If you're using dry chickpeas- boil 1 1/2 cups of beans until soft, let cool, add to bowl or blender.
3. Add 1 table spoon of tahini to beans- if you like a creamier consistency, then add more.
4. Squeeze half a lemon onto mixture.
*I've also subbed lemon for ACV- 2 caps fulls (the actual cap of the bottle) for every one can of beans.
5. Add one clove of garlic
*if you're like me, then you'll want more than that!
6. Cover mixture with olive oil- we use A LOT of oil, but it's up to you.
7. Add 1/8 C of purified water
*best to use LESS than you think you need, and add as needed while you blend.
8. Add salt and pepper as needed
*we also like to add Cayenne Pepper at this point!
9. Blend to a consistency of your liking.
10. Option to drizzle olive oil over the finished product.
The great thing about hummus is that is can be added to just about everything! Ok, well at least anything savory.
Here are a few of my go-to's:
-Salads as a substitute for dressing
-Sandwich as a substitute for condiments
-Spread on bagels
-Dipping artichokes as a substitute for butter or mayo
*add avocado and alfalfa sprouts!
A collection of simple, plant-based recipes that are nutritious and delicious.